Tuesday, November 08, 2005

What is a blogger?

That was the first question I asked myself when I created my blog. I found an answer from dictionary.com. I love that website, except for the distracting ads that come with it. It was my buddy that faithfully accompanied me through my dissertation year.
Definition of "blogger": a person who keeps a Web log (blog) or publish an online diary.
It sounds like an oxymoron to me, 'online' and 'diary'....hmmm isn't a diary supposed to be private. So how can it be published? okies enough of terminology dilemma

So something about "us" to start off with..."Us" refer to my husband and myself.
We both came from the little island that many in US have mistaken as part of China called Singapore. The most frequent comment we have from people who first met us in the States is "Oh...you speak English pretty well..., so you speak English back home?" We have gotten used to it...My husband's silent response was : we should reply by saying "So do you". Haiz, after a while we realised that as big as US may seem to be, the Americans actually are not informed of the world outside their country. I think the education system and the media are the major factors. (suddenly I feel like I am about to embark on a GP essay)...Ok, anyway, the truth of the matter is: there isn't much broadcast on TV or radio about world news outside the States. Or maybe I haven't watched enough TV to make an accurate comment. However, every news we have watched on tv so far is about USA. Whether it be politics or domestic violence, it's always revolves around their own country. Maybe it's because the country is so huge, news about home alone can cover a full hour of broadcast. Oh well, not that it bothers me terribly, cos we seldom watch tv anyway.

Ok, I think i trail off too much, the last para has nothing to do with the title....


1 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Libra said...

haha welcome to the world of blogging... I hope that u and jawn can continue blogging and upate us some part and parcels of ur US life.. At least, friends over in this little island will know how well u pple doing there.. At least we are still connected by this technology called internet blogging. Seems far yet near.. Seems familar yet alien.. So let's us be connected via this blog bah.. :) Miss u always

 

Post a Comment

<< Home